Tracking systems are classified by the measurement technique that they use. Real Time Location Systems (RTLS) are grouped into the following:
- Cell of Origin ( Nearest Cell)
- Lateration ( depending on Distance)
- Angulation (depending on the angle)
- Location patterning ( pattern recognition)
Cell of Origin
The tracking position is based on proximity and is determined by using the associated access point.
- Very easy to implement. No complicated algorithms used.
- Very fast technique as no complicated algorithms are used.
- Lacks granularity, hence may be difficult to locate devices in multi-storied environments, as exact position cannot be calculated.
How to improve this technique:
- Increase granularity by using highest RSSI cell instead of cell of origin.
Where and when used:
- Used when precise location tracking is not needed.
- Wi-Fi Location-Based Services 4.1 Design Guide by Cisco Press.